Wednesday, January 24, 2007

...Florencia was kind.


...
And if you want to know
Where a local boy like me is comin’ from:
3rd base, Dodger Stadium.
3rd base, Dodger Stadium.

Back around the 76 ball,
Johnny Greeneyes had his shoeshine stall.
In the middle of the 1st base line
Got my first kiss, Florencia was kind.
Now, if the dozer hadn’t taken my yard,
You’d see the tree with our initials carved.
So many moments in my memory.
Sure was fun, ‘cause the game was free.
It was free.
...

from "3rd Base Dodger Stadium," Ry Cooder, Chavez Ravine (2005)

2 comments:

Anthony B said...

In this song, the narrator describes his childhood memories in Chavez Ravine, which is now Dodger Stadium. I like how he juxtaposes details of baseball games in the very same places, for example on the field, with the events of his boyhood. The places themselves are quite literal now, 3rd base, but these childhood places still exist in his memory, like getting his first kiss from Florencia.

jeia said...

I couldn't agree more bello. I really like how the lyrics are put together just as memories. Which are, at least for me, so often just parts. Maybe it wasn't the same day, or even at the exact same place it happend. But in my mind the memories are, did they gave me the same feeling..? first kiss, the thrill of winning a game?