Saturday, April 7, 2007

Your hair has turned to silver...

















Jimmie Rodgers (left) and The Carter Family, 1931

Sleep, baby, sleepy,
Close your bright eyes.


"Sleep, Baby, Sleep" is a public domain song of the 19th century stage, and sung by Jimmie Rodgers (1897-1933). He is sometimes known as “The Singing Brakeman,” “The Blue Yodeler,” “The Yodeling Cowboy,” and “The Father of Country Music.” In addition to his train songs he sings some sweet lullabies such as the following, the recording of which I played in class:



















Daddy and Home

I am dreaming tonight of an old southern town
And the best friend that I ever had.
For I've grown so weary of roaming around.
I'm going back home to my dad.

Your hair has turned to silver.
I know you're fading too.
Daddy dear, oh daddy-ee,
I'm coming back to you.

You made my boyhood happy, but still I long to roam.
I've had my way, but now I'll stay.
I long for you and for home.

Oh-duh-lay-ee-ay, de-oh-lay-ee,
Ah-de-oh-lay-ee, ay-deo-lay-ee.
Oh-lay-ee-oh, lee-oh-lay-ee.

Dear old daddy, you shared my sorrows and joy.
You tried to bring me up right.
I know you'll still be just one of the boys,
So I'm starting back home tonight.

Your hair has turned to silver


Transcribed from Rounder CD 1057 Jimmie Rodgers: The Early Years, 1928-1929. Lyrics in this version, recorded in Camden, NJ, June 12, 1928, featuring Jimmie on solo vocal and guitar.

No comments: